I sent a questionnaire to a dozen or so leading entomophagy companies in North America (the questions are listed in this post).
The responses received were overall positive. Not all parties responded and some responses were limited due to the confidential nature of the topic.
Key take a ways:
- Regulators, including state and local agencies, are aware that the companies are producing insect containing food products.
- Producers are demonstrating that the insects used are wholesome and that the food is being produced using Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs).
- Food safety information in the form of a GRAS dossier has not been required by regulators.
- Allergen risk is being communicated.
- Consumers are informed that their products contain insects.
- No one is aware of efforts to limit used of insects as food.