It is important that insect processors and consumer goods companies have information about where there insects come from. I put together a questionnaire to help facilitate a dialog between the insect supplier and customer. It will also serve as a record.
Here is a link to the Word doc: Edible Insect Farming and Processing Questionnaire
Edible Insect Farming and Processing Questionnaire
- Describe the current Good Manufacturing Process (cGMP) used at the facility
- Describe the sanitation procedures
- Insect contact surfaces and equipment cleaning
- Environmental monitoring
- Are the insects clean and wholesome? Explain.
- Do they contain any external waste
- Are the insects raised specifically for human consumption
- What are the technical specifications of the product? Please attach a specification for each requested product.
- Protein content
- Please attach a pictures of the finished good including packaging and labels
- Describe the facility security
- Describe the rearing process
- Do you rear insects yourself
- Describe the feed.
- Feed ingredients
- Describe the housing
- Size(volume) per housing unit
- Surface area per housing unit
- Number of crickets per housing unit
- Are the insect treated humanely. Explain.
- Access to food
- Access to water/moisture
- Freedom to exercise instinctual behaviors
- Monitoring frequency
- Describe how the insects are harvested
- How are live insects separated from the remains
- Slaughter process
- Describe the storage conditions
- Describe the further processing
Let me know if I missed any questions.