Food safety is a key concern when consumers make food choices. Most westerners are unfamiliar with how insects are used as food which casts doubt on their safety. Here are some key points of discussion.
- Insects are harvested and processed just like any other food.
- The insects are harvested specifically for human consumption
- They are free from filth and extraneous material.
- They are handled and processed using Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and in compliance with food laws.
- People have been consuming insects as food for thousands of years.
- Insects have been an important part of our evolutionary diet.
- Today, insects provide necessary protein in some native diets.
- In certain places, insects are considered a delicacy.
- Over 2 billion people consume insects on a regular basis.
Some other thoughts…
Not all insects being consumed are farm raised. Imported products and even domestic insects are sometimes wild harvested. So a blanket statement saying that the insects we are distributing/promoting are all farm raised would not be accurate. Imported products are also more difficult to audit due to geographical and language barriers. Id love to hear more thoughts on how insects are being demonstrated to be wholesome and what documentation is available to support that.